Saturday, 13 August 2011

Day 11 Western McDonnell Ranges




There are bush fires burning all around Alice Springs. The smoke haze hangs around throughout the day and the acrid smell is present all around the town. We think the fires are under control and Sarah and Jake set off for a 17 km ride west of Alice to Simpson’s Gap where I will meet them with the girls. I prepare lunches and round up the girls for the short drive at the appointed time. I’m greeted by a friendly police officer aged about 12. ‘Sorry, road’s closed’ he says sternly. ‘Uhhhhh’ I reply. ‘My wife and son are meeting me in there in about 5 minutes. They’re mountain biking in.’ ‘They couldn’t have gotten past me on this road.’ he says. ‘Uhhhhh. They’re on mountain bikes. They don’t always stick to the roads.’ Much confusion in 12 year old’s brain. ‘OK. I’ll ride with you and we’ll see but I don’t think they’ll be in there.’ We drive about 10 km towards the car park and are greeted by the smiling faces of Sarah and Jake, confused as to why there is a copper in our car. We quickly load up the bikes, drop off the vigilant copper and make our way past fires alongside the road to Standley Chasm. A short but rocky walk leads to an aptly named chasm in the rock. The now familiar red rock is shining in the mid-day sun but the natural wind tunnel proves too cool for a long stay. We have lunch and depart for town. A bit of shopping and we are ready for the trip north tomorrow. Tonight we enjoy what we expect to be our final cool night of the trip. Blankets and jackets will be packed tomorrow morning as we head to the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment