Monday, 5 September 2011
Sunday 4 September
Zebra Rock Gallery:
A fairly quiet start to the day. Jake was taken fishing by Pat (the Dad of our friends). They had no luck but were fishing on the ocean side of the dam wall where the big crocs hang out so I was happy to see them return with or without fish! One barra was chasing Pat’s line but just teasing so they came home empty handed but Jake had loved it all anyway. Can’t say we have had too much luck fishing- I think the total number of lures lost now is 9 (don’t worry Leigh we will replace your lures!)!! I wish I could say they were chomped off by big barra but sadly we have become very familiar with rock and log snags. I am suggesting we wait til we get to sandy beaches to try fishing again. Jake is yet to be convinced!
After a pool swim we headed 10km out of town to the Zebra Rock Gallery. Beautiful stone that is only found in the East Kimberly in the Lake Argyle region. It is made from clay rock including clay minerals and quartz. Some is striped and some spotted but when sanded and polished comes up beautifully. Of course, a small purchase was made along with some mango smoothies! We obliged by feeding the hundreds of catfish of the end of their jetty with a few slow turtles in there hoping some food might come their way without being stolen from under their noses by a catfish. The most amazing site (which I had never seen before) was a peacock shimmy-ing himself to get the peahens’ attention. Tail fully out and really “shaking his tail feathers”, he was gorgeous and approached any peahen he could see, naturally the girls just kept eating the grass or looked at him with disinterest and walked away! We were later told he is doing that several times a day at the moment as it is mating season and occasionally he catches the attention of a girl and is successful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment